Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Alan, it doesn't look like you to come up with such a short answer :)

The 2 updates are an offer from Mazda and your dealer will certainly suggest you to get them the next time you get past them. But the updates are not mandatory and Mazda will not proactively contact you like with the AM020A.

Steen

Short and sweet after being sacked as a ghost writer!

The reason I left it short and sweet was to kinda highlight the fact you have to proactively chase them up...don't wait for them to contact you or you will wait forever or if your lucky get offered it at the next service! And before you go near the dealership keep an eye on the forum for mazda updates or recognised issues.

I still don't understand why, when the car has remote access via the user app for example, that some of these updates could not be offered over the air. It's not rocket science as tesla have proven! Perhaps they just couldn't be bothered designing it in somehow (or engineering issues) or its a way to get you to the dealers to sell you something else!

Keep well, Alan

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm pretty sure Mazda could well program their system to make updates via OTA, if they really wanted to, but the thing is probably more that they are pretty new to EVs and Over the Air updates and therefore would like to have a little more control over the process in the workshop.

Ask any Tesla owner if they are always happy with what Elon Musk downloads in their cars.

Of course there should be a possibility of interaction from the owner of the car whether an OTA updates should be installed or not, but personally I would say NO if the system asked and I would probably wait until everyone else had done so. Could become a catch-22.

Steen

True, but it would be nice to be offered the choice as you indicate and it may suit people who, for example, are a great distance from their mazda dealership. A bit nothing risked nothing gained I suppose. You should always have a setting option to revert to the previous version (be able to back up current before upgrade) to minimise risk of the vehicle going legs in the air! I certainly insisted on it when doing large system disaster recovery programming! Was not easy but achievable...mind you never actually had a revert scenario to test it so I may be talking boll*cks.

The dealerships should be allowed a say as they may or not want engineers doing upgrades for free when they can charge loads for other non warranty work. As I say it could be regarded as a selling up opportunity!

Hey ho, rant over. Back to the comfy chair!

Alan

Discussion starter · #25 ·
You are absolutely right.

I know that Mazda is usually very fussy about their cars and that their cars should function as intended by the engineers in Hiroshima. I think they are worried about that their cars can go dead in the middle of nowhere one and be dead like a duracell rabbit without batteries after the owner have made an update.

Of course, OTA updates can work in practice, we can see that with other manufacturers. Not that there are no problems with OTA updates, because there are for them too.

Revert a software update is an option that has been tried in many situations and different environments, but personally, I only believe in 100% secure ROLLBACK in my database.

In this case, it is a matter of programming a number of microcontrollers and not a normal business system. There are many differences as everything happens synchronously and in real-time and it can ground the vehicle totally if there is just a small error in the code. Ok, we just did a rollback of the software - by the way was DDL number 289 version 5.1.1.0.0.90 or 5.1.1.0.0.89 😖

Everyone who has worked with eg GitHub when publishing a production release knows that it's never better than the developers who prepared the latest branch.

But of course Mazda can do OTA update - I just do not think they dare yet.

Steen

I might be mistaken, but are you talking about the active air shutter system, that sits in a shroud, directly in front of the radiator and controls air flow into the radiator, by opening and closing?

It's probably not very visible unless you remove the bumper.

blue parts in the pics.

View attachment 418
View attachment 420

Hi Hawke,

Where did you find the technical information, or should I not ask? ;)

But of course Mazda can do OTA update - I just do not think they dare yet.
It seems to me that Mazda were "caught short" (to use an English idiom) with EVs, investing heavily in the fascinating but ultimately deadend Skyactive SPCCI technology.
I suspect that like Toyota (who saw Hybrids as a stopgap) they were expecting hydrogen fuel to become the dominant automotive technology (where they could adapt their existing petrol/gasoline internal combustion systems).

The MX-30 feels like a technological afterthought, or perhaps a compliance car stepped up to full production... Still it drives like a dream (Mazda have clearly spent a lot of time on the track with this one, it really outshines all its EV price class competitors as a driver's car) and looks beautiful (for a Crossover), so I have one on order :D

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Mazda has brilliant engineers when it comes to drive chain and driving characteristics of ICE cars. So yes, EVs are new to them and it's probably true that their first EV is a compliance car in heavily CO2 regulated markets.

However, it does not change, as you point out yourself, that they have built a super cool electric car that drives like an ICE car just much quieter and good looking.

Mazda has not developed a new EV from scratch, but has taken one of their really good models off the shelf and rebuilt it with the help of Honda and Hitatchi. By using the CX-30 as a basis, there are many advantages but of course also some disadvantages, that are mostly discovered by EV owners who consider EVs as a kind of new religion.

But I'm sure Mazda will also release more EVs as soon as they have the capacity. But they are also known to be a bit conservative so they do nothing fast, maybe just apart from the MX30. But they have promised that in 2025 they will launch a dedicated pure-electric platform for its future EVs called the Skyactiv EV Scalable Architecture.
The same mindset as the Hyundai E-GMP platform.

We need to remember that Mazda is a small car manufacturer, so we have to be patient :)

Steen

Mazda has brilliant engineers when it comes to drive chain and driving characteristics of ICE cars. So yes, EVs are new to them and it's probably true that their first EV is a compliance car in heavily CO2 regulated markets.

However, it does not change, as you point out yourself, that they have built a super cool electric car that drives like an ICE car just much quieter and good looking.

Mazda has not developed a new EV from scratch, but has taken one of their really good models off the shelf and rebuilt it with the help of Honda and Hitatchi. By using the CX-30 as a basis, there are many advantages but of course also some disadvantages, that are mostly discovered by EV owners who consider EVs as a kind of new religion.

But I'm sure Mazda will also release more EVs as soon as they have the capacity. But they are also known to be a bit conservative so they do nothing fast, maybe just apart from the MX30. But they have promised that in 2025 they will launch a dedicated pure-electric platform for its future EVs called the Skyactiv EV Scalable Architecture.
The same mindset as the Hyundai E-GMP platform.

We need to remember that Mazda is a small car manufacturer, so we have to be patient :)

Steen
Indeed, I'm not trying to be overly critical of Mazda here, after all I have this car on order!! But we need to be realistic with what has been produced and hopefully give Mazda useful feedback for the future of their product range.

Have any of you experienced getting the latest updates installed and then getting this error:

View attachment 417

It says after translation to english:

Error in EV system. Possible limited performance on electric motor.
Have the vehicle inspected by an authorized workshop.

The two updates are:

AM035A
AM036A
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Snow Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Font Darkness Monochrome photography Number Terrestrial plant

Font Darkness Brand Rectangle History

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Tachometer Car

Rectangle Font Material property Gadget Gas

Font Darkness Monochrome photography Number Terrestrial plant

Attachments

My Wifes Mazda MX-30 got his first problem on tuesday. We have had Much Of snow and some -degrees.

EV System Malfunction.

I call to Mazda MES system and got another loan Car from there to our home and Mazda went to our nearest Mazda dealer workshop Delta Turku Finland.
They checked Car and Car got just some Updates not any mechanivai works.

View attachment 894
View attachment 895
View attachment 892
View attachment 888
View attachment 890
View attachment 889
View attachment 887
View attachment 893

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.