Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Indeed, the "range obsessed" media just do not get it. Don't forget that they are also acceleration obsessed. They could help to focus on the "real world" if they thought back to the time before combustion engines. The well known phrase, horses for courses, recognised that there were different demands and different solutions for horsepower. So, in the "real world", the average UK car journey is 8.4 miles and 80% of cars rarely travel further than 40 miles. The vast majority of two car families and many one car families can utilise a small range car very successfully. Time the average motorist (who buys and maintains the cars and pays for the fuel) setting off from start and they typically take 6 seconds to reach 30 mph. I read one article in which the author wondered if the MX-30 was fast enough to keep up with traffic! Finally, I am well used to this debate, often with people who have travelled just a few miles to be there, and remind them that I do not need to take a tonne of batteries to the golf club. And I am not demeaning those who like to push our lovely little cars to the limit and travel long distances using public chargers. That is just not for me and if I wish to travel to Scotland then I will be powered by petrol engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Indeed, the "range obsessed" media just do not get it. Don't forget that they are also acceleration obsessed. They could help to focus on the "real world" if they thought back to the time before combustion engines. The well known phrase, horses for courses, recognised that there were different demands and different solutions for horsepower. So, in the "real world", the average UK car journey is 8.4 miles and 80% of cars rarely travel further than 40 miles. The vast majority of two car families and many one car families can utilise a small range car very successfully. Time the average motorist (who buys and maintains the cars and pays for the fuel) setting off from start and they typically take 6 seconds to reach 30 mph. I read one article in which the author wondered if the MX-30 was fast enough to keep up with traffic! Finally, I am well used to this debate, often with people who have travelled just a few miles to be there, and remind them that I do not need to take a tonne of batteries to the golf club. And I am not demeaning those who like to push our lovely little cars to the limit and travel long distances using public chargers. That is just not for me and if I wish to travel to Scotland then I will be powered by petrol engine.
Milkfloat we are on the same page here. Acceleration, or how fast is it reasonable for a car to be. 3 seconds to 100 kmh has that got anything to do with normal traffic??? I dont know. Does the average driver realistically master that kind of power? What about kids, dogs other cars and accidents? Inexperienced drivers?
On a race track sure go ahead do what you like. Not my problem.
Great point Milkfloat.
What car? likes the way the MX 30 drives but are not happy with the way the biggest battery car, Ford Mach E, drives. Come on guys. The driveability of a car is not improved by a huge battery pack. Is anyone surprised?

Great to see good stuff coming out of the UK like this from What car.
Not everything is getting out of the UK these days. Tried ordering biscuits for a daughter from Fortnum and Masons. They no longer deliver to the EU because of Brexit. Nope. What can you do?
Bake your own?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting review of the MX-30 in Forbes (I can’t get the link as behind a paywall). As usual lots of plus and minus comments. The most interesting quote in the review is from an analyst…

Felipe Munoz, global automotive analyst at JATO Dynamics, agrees that Mazda has been slow in its electric car policy but the MX-30 has some plus points.

“It’s true, it is not the best EV you can get out there. But unlike most of the offers, it is an SUV, which is the remarkable aspect of this story. While Renault, Honda, Fiat, Nissan, Volkswagen have started their electrification race in the traditional (and sales decreasing) segments with their hatchbacks, Mazda dared to enter this era with an SUV. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is one of the very few electric small SUVs you can buy today. So, I would say that the little range is the price you pay to get a modern electric SUV. It’s bigger than a (Hyundai) Kona, (Peugeot) 2008, and more modern than the Kia Niro,” Munoz said.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Drove over 4K now and so far the limited range hasn't been a problem at all.
Just once i had to use a public charger, and that was because my wife was worried where not going to make it home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
At the Tokyo Motor Show the MX-30 was unveiled with a 35.5 kWh battery and an electric motor capable of producing 142 horsepower (105 kW) and 192 lb-ft (264 Nm) of torque.

The range is expected to be 130 miles (~210km) for the European model, which is likely using the WLTP testing standard. Which means the EPA range could be a bit lower at around 120 miles (~193km).

120-130 miles may not seem like a lot at first glance but I know it’ll be more than enough for my daily commute. However, it might not enough be for others.

With that being said, what does everyone else think about the range?
Mazda has announced their EPA range numbers for the MX-30 and are claiming it will be able to have an EPA estimated rage of 100 miles.

The MX-30 can easily be the ideal companion for daily commuting with an EPA estimated range of 100 miles on a full charge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mazda has announced their EPA range numbers for the MX-30 and are claiming it will be able to have an EPA estimated rage of 100 miles.

The MX-30 can easily be the ideal companion for daily commuting with an EPA estimated range of 100 miles on a full charge.

Understanding EPA range
OK so here we have it, the official EPA range for the MX-30.
100 miles or 161 km.
Its crap, lets get depressed, what was I thinking buying this piece of junk?
Well the EPA is calculated differently from e g WLTP. For starters its a bit more highway heavy than WLTP.
But the dealbreaker is the final calculation. They put our mutual friend from Hiroshima on a dynometer or a treadmill in a lab. Then it goes through a number of cycles until the battery is empty. Then the range is multiplied by 0,7 to make the range more "realistic" .
Thats a whopping 30%.
That's what makes the EPA a tough shit, you dont get any favours, test.
So on the dynometer in the lab it made it 143 miles. In other words summer, stay off the highway range.
Bottom line: This comes as no surprise. For your daily needs 100 miles is plenty. Interestingly Mazda US offers MX-30 buyers a free loan of another Mazda 10 days yearly for three years. That sounds like a terrific idea.
Mazda Europe, that is a concept you could implement well, like tomorrow?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts