Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks
It is rather cold in Norway these days with temperatures around -15 C in my area.
I have a MX-30 year 2022 and is overall happy with the car, but Yesterday
I was very surprised to see that the battery level had dropped from 80% to 22% during 2 days
while parked and unplugged from the charger.
It seems to me that the battery heater system has consumed all this energy.
I went into the car menu EV settings and the battery heater setting was set to Auto.
BUT. It is quite stupid that the car should maintain battery heating from it's own battery
while parked and especially when it is not connected to the wall charger.
I wonder if anyone has faced the same problem and if it is a fix/update for this.

I have now turned off the Auto heating and are now getting warnings from the Mazda app that the battery is cold
and it advice me to turn on the battery heating again....
Font Material property Magenta Screenshot Software

· Registered
11 Posts
Oh wow this is exactly what I noticed a couple of days ago. However, this only happened after I’ve enabled the cold mode. I left the car at work in the morning with 77% came back to it in the evening at 64 or 66, don’t remember anymore. Also it displayed a warning that it’s consuming large amounts of energy while doing so. I left it on for the journey back home and it was eating about 1% battery for every km. I’ve never seen anything like this in this car. Freaked me out. I had to recharge on the way.
my suggestion: Try keeping automatic on, but disabling the cold mode, it seems to have worked for me. Cold mode is there to improve the recharge time on DC in extremely low temperatures, the price however is too high.

· Registered
11 Posts
Well no, not exactly. I think it's beneficial to have the option, I just didn't quite understand how it works.
I can see an obvious point to it - you enable cold mode when you know you'll be going a bit further in very cold conditions and will need to recharge quickly.
At something like -10 deg C even a very quick highway run at high speeds might not be sufficient to warm up the battery for the DC charger.
You definitely want to have a warmed up battery in order to speed up the DC charging.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cold temperatur recipe for my Mazda MX-30 is now :
  • Keep Auto Battery Heating OFF, since ON is draining my HV battery even if the car is not connecting to a charger
  • Auto Battery heating to ON, ONLY if I plan to DC charge while on the road
  • Not use cabin pre-heating to often since it drains the 12V battery a lot ( interior fan and radiator fan are running )
  • Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Keep the car connected to the home wall charger
  • If I pre-heat the cabin the HV battery will drain 3-4% but then the wall charger is activated by the car and HV battery draining stops.
  • Be carefull with Cabin heating while driving. Better to lower temp and use seat heating to save juice
  • Use a Moisture Absorber to help against fogging
  • Check tyre pressure regulary and top up if necessary to 2,6 BAR
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging

I like my Mazda a lot but I am somewhat chocked to see the high juice consumption when cold
and strange factory setup for the 12V charging and Battery heating.
Why can't Mazda also charge the 12V battery while the HV battery is being charged ?
Why start heating the HV battery while the car is parked, not even connected to the charger ?
Some cold mode improvements wouldn't hurt.

Looking forward to warmer weather :)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My test :
I charged the battery on my MX-30 to 80 %
I left the car connected to my Easee Home charger
Then in the Mazda App I started pre-heating of the cabin
After a while I updated the Mazda App a battery level was reduced to 76 %
Then a few minutes later I checked the Easee app and the car was now consuming energy from my Easee wall charger
When the cabin heating was finish the battery level was still 76%
So You are right, Battery charging will not resume automatically unless you do it from within the Mazda app,
but pre-heating itself will use the Charger ( my anyway ) after a while.
Yet another "Mazda special feature"

· Registered
255 Posts
My cold temperatur recipe for my Mazda MX-30 is now :
  • Keep Auto Battery Heating OFF, since ON is draining my HV battery even if the car is not connecting to a charger
  • Auto Battery heating to ON, ONLY if I plan to DC charge while on the road
  • Not use cabin pre-heating to often since it drains the 12V battery a lot ( interior fan and radiator fan are running )
  • Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Keep the car connected to the home wall charger
  • If I pre-heat the cabin the HV battery will drain 3-4% but then the wall charger is activated by the car and HV battery draining stops.
  • Be carefull with Cabin heating while driving. Better to lower temp and use seat heating to save juice
  • Use a Moisture Absorber to help against fogging
  • Check tyre pressure regulary and top up if necessary to 2,6 BAR
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging

I like my Mazda a lot but I am somewhat chocked to see the high juice consumption when cold
and strange factory setup for the 12V charging and Battery heating.
Why can't Mazda also charge the 12V battery while the HV battery is being charged ?
Why start heating the HV battery while the car is parked, not even connected to the charger ?
Some cold mode improvements wouldn't hurt.

Looking forward to warmer weather :)
Hi Norway, what do you mean by moisture absorber in this case? Not like the one powered by electricity? Dry absorbing something? Interesting post😃🇧🇻🇺🇦

· Registered
255 Posts
Hi Sweeden, check out BILTEMA 36-373. It helps against foggy windows inside the car, especially in Winter time
Greit, many thanks. Is your so called cold mode activated??? To one to enable DC charging. If it is would try turning it off. Ok its not as cold down here but CCS charging is not something you do every day. Its not as though this is a road trip car anyways.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cold mode is activated, but I prefer to set Auto Battery Heating OFF in my MX-30 EV menu. Then cold mode or not will be ignored and battery heating will never start, unless I set Auto Battery Heating back to ON again.
In the future I will not do DC changing in winter time in very cold temperatures anymore with my Mazda since it's unpredictable and slow anyway .I really like my MX-30 a lot, but with high consumption and a 35.5 kWh battery
very cold weather and range is not this car's strongest point.

· Registered
255 Posts
Cold mode is activated, but I prefer to set Auto Battery Heating OFF in my MX-30 EV menu. Then cold mode or not will be ignored and battery heating will never start, unless I set Auto Battery Heating back to ON again.
In the future I will not do DC changing in winter time in very cold temperatures anymore with my Mazda since it's unpredictable and slow anyway .I really like my MX-30 a lot, but with high consumption and a 35.5 kWh battery
very cold weather and range is not this car's strongest point.
Just sayin that with cold mode off and auto battery on never had any issues. Cold mode was an afterthought or soft ware update or "fix" from Mazda for hopeless fast charging in winter. I believe. So without fast charging just skip the not so perfect so called fix. One good thing w this car is the battery temp gauge in the instrument cluster so you will know if fast charging will work. Thats my fix anyways🤣

· Registered
15 Posts
Hi folks
It is rather cold in Norway these days with temperatures around -15 C in my area.
I have a MX-30 year 2022 and is overall happy with the car, but Yesterday
I was very surprised to see that the battery level had dropped from 80% to 22% during 2 days
while parked and unplugged from the charger.
It seems to me that the battery heater system has consumed all this energy.
I went into the car menu EV settings and the battery heater setting was set to Auto.
BUT. It is quite stupid that the car should maintain battery heating from it's own battery
while parked and especially when it is not connected to the wall charger.
I wonder if anyone has faced the same problem and if it is a fix/update for this.

I have now turned off the Auto heating and are now getting warnings from the Mazda app that the battery is cold
and it advice me to turn on the battery heating again.... View attachment 804
Hello
I live in Sweden.
Unfortunately, it is the case that Mazda did not understand that their MX-30 is sold in countries with a cold climate. I believe that they should inform that charging is limited even at temperatures below 10-15 degrees C. Fast charging only gives about 7-10 kW even if you have raised the battery temperature before charging.
I have now tested several times and we have however had around +5 degrees C without it getting any better. Last charge on fast charger 150kW went from 10-100% in 4.5 hours. Scandal that they do not inform about this before. Mazda blames charging posts and other things. But the fact that their new version is with a wankel engine for charging confirms that they knew about all the problems.

· Registered
MX 30 100 year anniversary
139 Posts
Hi all just picked up on this thread & have no idea what you are discussing. So out with the owner/s manual & I couldn’t find anything about it. Could someone point me in the right direction to read up on it or maybe explain to me what you are all talking about. Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts