Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, anyone have experience with -20c weather range. I have read that I can expect to loose roughly 40% , But is this a typical loss on our mx30? I travel 84km back and forth mostly highway at 100km/h with some traffic and hopefully won't have to pack a hot water bottle to keep warm...lol starting to doubt whether I did the right thing buying this.... Any insight will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
80 Posts
Brrrrr! I'm pleased to say that I don't have any experience of such temperatures OU but hopefully someone who has will be able to give you the figures for range loss. It's going to be interesting to see what they are.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Are you leaving it plugged in overnight with power to the car so that the hv battery heater (which should kick in at -5) is able to heat batteries whilst drawing power from the mains? This should help with range....but at -20 🤯

According to a new study just published by the AAA (American Automobile Association), cold temperatures significantly reduce the range electric and hybrid vehicles get from their battery packs.

This finding won’t come as a surprise to any Canadian motorist who has driven an EV in wintertime in our country. But what’s truly attention-grabbing here is that the loss of autonomy can reach nearly 50%. This is the conclusion reached by the AAA at the end of its study.

That study showed that, on average, an outside temperature of -6 Celsius results in a 41% reduction of range supplied by a EV’s battery pack. This will be the same for the mx30.

Use seat heaters and steering wheel heater to keep warm as the draw on the battery with this on is a fraction of the climate control usage. This will increase range

Perhaps you needed a bigger battery car to cope with your winter months given the range loss?

Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some experience from Finnish winter and temperatures below -20 celsius and even -25.
On my driving (about 80 kilometers where 70km on "highway" max 85km/h) the range goes down to 115-125 kilometers.
Interior heating deteriorates significantly below -20 and cuts of totally after -26. So you need a warm hat, good gloves and ice coverall + the hot water bottle.
And the thing that I hate the most is that the battery heating is using EV-battery even if the car is plugged to power.
There is also all kind of flaps freezing and not working on cold conditions with EV-malfunctions.
I am just happy that summer is coming. Winter is a real pain with MX-30.
Now when the morning is -10 and afternoon +10, I get a range about 175km with computer telling me that consumption is 17,4kWh/100km. I drive about 80km per day and I have been driving about 9000km since last october.

·
Registered
746 Posts
JanneRäisänen

I asked this question to Mazda Europe. Also at what temp the battery heater clicks in. The reply From the Mazda European technical department included;

A) -5 degrees to start automatically

B) When the battery heater is activated while the high voltage battery is charging, electrical power from the charging equipment is supplied to the battery heater.

So that indicated diversion, not taking from the HV batteries directly. Is that your experience or is a forked tongue in action?

Alan

·
Registered
13 Posts
My observations is that:
  • car is connected to charger and it is charging
  • battery heater is on
  • charging is completed so battery should be 100%
  • I start in the cold morning with battery level 93-95%.

So my simple idea is that the battery heater is using HV-battery or it is taking more power to heat the battery than there is available on the charger.

·
Registered
746 Posts
JanneRäisänen

" MX30 COOLING SYSTEM"
A refrigerant tube heat exchanger, attached to the bottom of the battery module, keeps the battery at the right temperature for optimal operation in any
circumstances. This works together with the climate control system, to optimise the performance of both air conditioning and battery.

The battery heater is operated off the thermal pump (heat pump). Most EV heat pumps consume less that 1kwh I believe...no idea if the MX30 is in that range. If my thinking is correct the car charger provides 6.6kwh. I assume you have no idea when the heater kicks in and when it goes off? It should kick in at -5 and go off at >10 and give a dash indication. I also assume you don't precondition the car internal heating system as that will draw off the batteries.....I believe

We don't experience such extreme temperature in most parts of the UK so you can speak from experience whilst we, mainly, talk from theory. So the car is plugged in with no schedule on the charger or car, just set to 100% to turn charging off. The car should detect the charger is still plugged in and available and when the battery heater demand kicks in it should signal the charger to provide power directly to the battery heater without touching the batteries...according to Mazda Europe. But your valuable experience is telling us otherwise...Good to know.

Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the insights, going to start shopping for a diesel generator..🤣 -4 this morning, 120/kmh heater on full, windows down , tragically hip playing on the Bose...drove 42km, 29% battery usage...
Car is parked inside my garage overnight , but I'm parked outside during the work day...Good ol' days of siphoning gas are gone- any way to siphon kW?! Lol and I guess I'll have to wait and see next winter ( I've had my cx30 for 5 days) love hate worry thing going on.. I'll keep you all posted .. and thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is a huge bonus if you can keep the car inside a warm garage overnight. I drove 56 kilometers on snowstorm from cold to cold and battery usage was 48%, which I think was quite huge. Road was snowy and it was not plowed. Before return car was inside a warm garage (+20 Celsius) for a week and I drove back the same route with 30% battery usage. Roads were clear.
Both ways temperature was around -10.
I don't know if this is obvious, but when driving on highway, I press the right "pad" behind the steering wheel to get two arrows up next to the D. In case I do not use cruise.

My opinion is that MX-30 would be just great for Mediterranean city car, where temperature is constantly over +10 and one could drive mostly in cities/towns. Up here in the cold north and driving on a highway, I would select another brand&model.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Janne all EVs struggle blow minus 20 C. If you plan to do a lot of highway driving below minus 20 the MX 30 is not a smart choice. But I have to say that I have been super impressed with safety and driving in snow with this car. The lane keeping thing is not great though. Tesla autopilot is involved in a number of accidents, including lethal ones and a number legal cases apparently. German authorities are not happy with the system. So in my humble opinion the MX 30 does a lot better in winter than I thought it would. You will need to charge a lot though🤣

·
Registered
13 Posts
But I have to say that I have been super impressed with safety and driving in snow with this car.
I totally agree. MX-30 is consistent and predictable with the handling on snow and ice.

Tesla autopilot has been involved in accidents that would have happened anyway. I think that the "human factor" plays big role as AI can handle only something that it has been taught. If slave becomes master, then there is crash.

Back to MX-30. As much as I hate some of the not so nice safety features, still I consider that there is much more pros than cons. And if there would be even a little bit better range and faster charging, I would be super happy. I made the decision to purchase MX-30 with the idea that I only use it for driving to work and back, about 80km per day. And everything else is just a bonus. And for that purpose it is just fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interior heating deteriorates significantly below -20 and cuts of totally after -26. So you need a warm hat, good gloves and ice coverall + the hot water bottle.
I am curious if your MX-30 has the control software update for the heat pump control unit that increased the output of the PTC heater, released this winter, it was supposed to help with -20 °C and colder environment, just wondering if that your experience after this update?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am curious if your MX-30 has the control software update for the heat pump control unit that increased the output of the PTC heater, released this winter, it was supposed to help with -20 °C and colder environment, just wondering if that your experience after this update?
No, thats true. We still sometimes have minus degrees Celsius at night these parts but the coldest conditions were pre-update. The update was a one update disaster area, check out different thread if interested

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an update last November. After the update I was able to activate "Arctic mode" and interior heating was better. Before there was none, but after update there was some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all, anyone have experience with -20c weather range. I have read that I can expect to loose roughly 40% , But is this a typical loss on our mx30? I travel 84km back and forth mostly highway at 100km/h with some traffic and hopefully won't have to pack a hot water bottle to keep warm...lol starting to doubt whether I did the right thing buying this.... Any insight will be greatly appreciated
HI from Finland! Last winter was quite tough with long periods of temperatures steadily around -20C, the range went down to around 150km at the very worse with 90% charge. We are having just outdoors car shelter, so car was always cold soaked. We used the preheating and we do use the heating of the seats and steering wheel, lower temp.settings on cabin air. We have adopted quite economical driving habits, so after heavy winter we are now getting back to good range of 217km at full charge, and its still going up. So our range loss is maximum 35% in most cold weathers (and ice/snow and other subsequent joys of winter driving).

And to mention, the range counter appears to be very precise, we are not shy to drive with 3km margin to reach the next charging opportunity or home:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts