Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wanted to discuss about how is better to set charging limit and up to where to be discharged battery in order to keep high capacity after years.
As I see it that our batteries are NCA from Panasonic and is recommended to have it charged up to 80% upper limit and 20% lower limit for long life, that is correct? Others said 90% upper limit and 50% for long life battery,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, I wanted to discuss about how is better to set charging limit and up to where to be discharged battery in order to keep high capacity after years.
As I see it that our batteries are NCA from Panasonic and is recommended to have it charged up to 80% upper limit and 20% lower limit for long life, that is correct? Others said 90% upper limit and 50% for long life battery,
With a low range car like the MX30 these recommendations would make the car unusable. I use all the range it was advertised to have. If the batteries are these bad at retaining battery life there is no future for EVs at all.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Most research shows 20 to 80% is the sweet spot for for longevity of charge/discharge for EV lithium batteries. What annoys me is manufacturers advertising bluster gives full range and then in tiny teenie writing advises not charging above 90% at regular intervals to maintain the battery life...such as Mazda....so please don't use the full range too often. Fine if you have a larger battery than our 35.5 with only 30.5 usable kw. So the MX30 is not the car for anyone doing regular long journeys and relying on 100% advertised range for year after year. If short hops is your main need with the occasional long drive then the MX30 is 👍. Also if you are only holding on to it for a short period and don't care about future use, albeit yours or the next owner then go for it full whack. I am in the latter camp as I bought it with 120 miles + in mind.
Alan

·
Registered
MX-30 SE-L Lux
119 Posts
20 to 80% is only 60 miles usable and you can’t really do anything on that. I charge to 100 every time I plug in and run down to the point I think it will become unusable the following day which is usually around the 30% mark.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I charge mine when Tesco, Sainsburys or Chargeplace Scotland have an an available charger as it is free at point of use. So far 45p spent over the last 3 months in charging costs. Regular weekly use 90% charge, longer journeys every second week 100% charge. 🔌⚡💸 :)

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts