Mazda MX-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I thought to create a YouTube video living in a cold country such as Norway. Things are not helping by it being one of the coldest winters since 2009! Saying that, ALL EV's are suffering as a result, including the Tesla Model 3 Long Range, including our other EV, the Hyundai Kona (64kWh). So the MX30 with its smaller battery will suffer even more as the range is already low to begin with! The more we can get complaints to Mazda the quicker updates will be released.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The sound may not be synchronised when viewing the video on the MX30 forum. If you have a problem it will be synchronised when viewing directly from the YouTube channel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
people, this is normal i think.
Teslas also power down in extreme cold, this is to prevent accidents.

Also in the users manual it clearly says that it is dangerous to use regeneration while the roads are slippery.
So this ISSUE everyone is adressing just maybe one of the many "safety Functions"

Anyone even bothered to read the manual?
I am very sure the guy in the video didnt....

just my 2 cents

gr from holland

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't you just love how people are eager to get on the bench and wave their fists.
Without Reading the TF Manual..

I have watched 20+ reviews, and everybody keeps going on about the knobs AND display for the climate controls..
Some research will clearly point out the buttons are for if you use DRIVING GLOVES...

Its becoming very clear to me reviewers just copy eachother..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Today i have driven the car in snow.
After it has been sitting outside in the snow for 2 days

yes the car gives off a signal that acceleration is limited due too the cold.
BUT i did not experience this as bad, i was driving very cautiosly in snowy sidestreets, without problems.

Also the re-gen does not work in the heaviest 2 positions, it gives off a message.
Trust me the heaviest 2 re-gen modes will cause you to lose traction, since they brake fairly hard
BUT in D (normal mode) the car als re-gens ever so slightly, and that still worked.
But in snowy/iced road condition, you better control the brake yourself imho.

all in all ive had a pleasant 20minute drive,
And even with acceleration limited, i managed to spin the wheels for a sec on 2 occasions, which was corrected very fast and accurate by the car.
Just imagine: having full power under the pedal without a clutch to buffer, the acceleration of an EV NEEDS to be limited when temperatures drop below zero.

Tonight i will drive a longer distance, but i dont expect to exceed 70km/h, taking into account the current state of the public roads in NL at the moment.
The heaviest snow since 1979!!

gr

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
So ive driven it a little more. In the worst driving conditions since 30 years or so. Heavy snow and ice on some sidestreets.

Yeaterday a 50km trip with 80km/h at its top.
No problem at all. When you drive cautiously, like you should in these conditions, you dont even notice it accelerates less than it should.
Its still fairly Quick I must say.

The notification on the display is removable with the "info" button and does not bother you again on your trip. And today it did not appear during my daytime trips although it was below zero celcius.

Charging in the cold went also as usual. I think then is when the batteryheater comes to life.
Its not a fast charger and also the car isnt fast but at least its steady.
At the 11kw charger at work it takes 5 hours from 25% to 80%. I have no problem with that at all. I have to be there anyways. The cold did not affect the charging times today (HEATER?)

btw I have 160km range on 100%. with all the gadgets ON. Its more than enough for us.

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2010 (we have it for 10 years)
9 Posts
I have 160km range on 100%. with all the gadgets ON. Its more than enough for us.
Thanks for the update! Do you have seat heating and did you use that "gadget" too?

I am also very curious about the pre heating if your car is still connected to the charger: So when you leave from work, is the battery at 100% if you preheated it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes, the seat heating i use on the "1 bar" strength.
I even used the heated steering the first 5 minutes, just to get the wheel up to comfortable temp.

to answer the 2nd question:
I rarely charge to 100%, en i still have no option to charge at home (besides the wall plug)

Pre-heating of the car works quite well, and more than 5-10 minutes is not needed.
This costs around 2% or 4km range. and you usually do this only in the morning. (not after work-charging so to say)

I rarely drive more than 60km on a trip, so i am still not worried
i try to be efficient with the gadgets, but i dont need to.
Even in this cold, it surprised me how it handles.

Wifey doesnt even notice when the wheels slip and correct themselves, this car truly serves its driver, as it was intended.
If the range might bother you, dont go for it..
But for the short range drivers this definitely a solid choice

·
Registered
48 Posts
UPDATE:

91% when i turned the heater on for 5 minutes (while charging)

after arriving at the car and disconnecting it it was still at 91%.
Usually this costs around 2% ish (4km)

So YES, it will still charge when pre-heating is on!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
people, this is normal i think.
Teslas also power down in extreme cold, this is to prevent accidents.

Also in the users manual it clearly says that it is dangerous to use regeneration while the roads are slippery.
So this ISSUE everyone is adressing just maybe one of the many "safety Functions"

Anyone even bothered to read the manual?
I am very sure the guy in the video didnt....

just my 2 cents

gr from holland
Hi gr from Holland...
The guy in the video DID read the manual, in Dutch, Norsk and English, and with extreme temperatures in Norway currently at -22c there's very little the manual can advise. My EV experience is now 6 years, having had a Kia Soul, Tesla Model S, a Hyundai Kona, and now a Mazda MX30. Experienced ant icy roads and -22c in Nederland recently??
Too many "experts" on YouTube giving their verdict after test driving the car for ten minutes.
Ik wens je een prachtig weekend!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well in the manual it clearly says acceleration is limited in extreme cold, i do not see the problem? i can still go 100km/h with it.. (havent tested faster)
Past week has been the worst since i dont know when in NL.
There were mornings at -15celsius, and my car does not have a warm garage to start from. Worst case scenario for me i guess

ive got the "limited acceleration" prompt on 80% of my trips this week. (4/5 days)
Also the one that states the high voltage battery temp is low.
So what? if you push info on the steerin wheel its gone. and the car just functions fine.. :sneaky:
30% of the roads i drive are not cleared, so yes they ARE icey, and even then the acceleration is too much at times (the wheels spin)
So again, what is the problem of limited acceleration in snow and ice??

And besides, everybody who does research does know you dont buy the Mazda EV for its range.
You would be stupid to do so if you have a daily drive of 100km or more.

If you live in Norway, i assume any reasonable person would take into account the extreme cold winter.
Even less reasons to buy an MX30 if you are not a citydriver.
But some people rather dive in nose first, and cry later.. some people :rolleyes:

Goed weekend allen!

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well in the manual it clearly says acceleration is limited in extreme cold, i do not see the problem? i can still go 100km/h with it.. (havent tested faster)
Past week has been the worst since i dont know when in NL.
There were mornings at -15celsius, and my car does not have a warm garage to start from. Worst case scenario for me i guess

ive got the "limited acceleration" prompt on 80% of my trips this week. (4/5 days)
Also the one that states the high voltage battery temp is low.
So what? if you push info on the steerin wheel its gone. and the car just functions fine.. :sneaky:
30% of the roads i drive are not cleared, so yes they ARE icey, and even then the acceleration is too much at times (the wheels spin)
So again, what is the problem of limited acceleration in snow and ice??

And besides, everybody who does research does know you dont buy the Mazda EV for its range.
You would be stupid to do so if you have a daily drive of 100km or more.

If you live in Norway, i assume any reasonable person would take into account the extreme cold winter.
Even less reasons to buy an MX30 if you are not a citydriver.
But some people rather dive in nose first, and cry later.. some people :rolleyes:

Goed weekend allen!

Mark
Agree in what you say Mark....
Eerst en vooral ik kom van Belgie en woon al 56 jaar in Engeland, en nu in Noorwegen....But let's carry on in English as my Dutch (or Vlaams) isn't as good as it used to be :) As for the acceleration it's not me that says its limited, but the warning sign in the car....My Mazda is going in for a software update next Tuesday, so hopefully those warning signs will be gone. Remember, I didn't criticize the car that much except for the stupid messages that come up. It's a brilliant car and don't regret buying it. I'm retired and my Norwegian partner works just one day a week, so there's no need for a car with long range. Like I said in my video, our Kona doesn't have these issues. I really am pleased that I bought the Mazda in the worst possible conditions (winter), so the range will only improve as the weather warms up in spring.
Ik wens je een goed weekend!
Groetjes van een oude gebuur in Belgie,
Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone, I thought to create a YouTube video living in a cold country such as Norway. Things are not helping by it being one of the coldest winters since 2009! Saying that, ALL EV's are suffering as a result, including the Tesla Model 3 Long Range, including our other EV, the Hyundai Kona (64kWh). So the MX30 with its smaller battery will suffer even more as the range is already low to begin with! The more we can get complaints to Mazda the quicker updates will be released.
We had a cold spell in NL in Feb, and I also noticed that the battery temperature became very low. In my opinion the car should have automatically warmed up the battery (it is set to auto), in particular as it is always on the charger anyway. But it did not. So I am not sure if it is a fault, or if the car has a very low threshold before it starts heating up the battery. Drivewise it did not notice any difference however.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had a cold spell in NL in Feb, and I also noticed that the battery temperature became very low. In my opinion the car should have automatically warmed up the battery (it is set to auto), in particular as it is always on the charger anyway. But it did not. So I am not sure if it is a fault, or if the car has a very low threshold before it starts heating up the battery. Drivewise it did not notice any difference however.
You are correct Bert, there are just the two settings, battery warmer Auto or Off. Mine is always set to auto. The dealer said that the battery heater comes on between -15c to -20c. If that’s the case then that’s ridiculously low and needs updating.
The car also has a mind of its own when warming up, even when plugged in. Most of the time it heats up using its own battery and occasionally when very cold (-18c) it uses the wall box. I thought maybe because the car was charged at 100% it would use its own high voltage battery, but I then reduced the charging limit to 90% and it made no difference.
Basically what’s the point then leaving the car plugged in to heat up? Our other 3 EV’s always used the wall box to heat the car to preserve the range.
This now brings me to the regen....there is none for the first few km, and the only way I can stop the car which is now in “freewheel” mode is to use the brakes. At least with a manual ICE car you can use the gears to slow down. You don’t have that luxury in a two pedal car. Some of the comments have referred me as some sort of idiot that’s new to electric driving and haven’t read the manual. In icy conditions I use a very light regen, because too aggressive reduces control of the car. That’s providing the car will give me regen in the first place :) I had a similar problem with my 2014 Model S which had the smaller 60kWh battery. If it was charged to 100% I had no regen either for the first few km (winter and summer) as there was no room for the extra charge to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it only does when charging. And only if its below the blue marker.

My 2 cents
....anything is possible with this car. There’s very little to tell you if the heater is working or not. The temperature remains in the cold area even at +7c outside. In my message below I explained that my dealer here in Norway says that the heater kicks in between -15c and -20c

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry Bert, I couldn’t edit my earlier reply. Of course having no regen isn’t problem on dry roads as you can use the brakes. What I meant to say was, that driving on black ice when the car is in freewheel mode feels alarmingly dangerous, and the only option to stop the car is to use the brakes....

·
Registered
Skoda Yeti 2010 (we have it for 10 years)
9 Posts
Sorry Bert, I couldn’t edit my earlier reply. Of course having no regen isn’t problem on dry roads as you can use the brakes. What I meant to say was, that driving on black ice when the car is in freewheel mode feels alarmingly dangerous, and the only option to stop the car is to use the brakes....
You always have to slow down the wheels if you want to go slower. It's the tires having to make the friction causing the car to slow down. Doesn't matter if you are using breaks in the wheels or the engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts