Mazda MX-30 Forum banner

Door rattle noise

42K views 259 replies 31 participants last post by  mkii.px 
#1 ·
I have door rattle noises coming from both front doors (RHD car in Ireland) in my First Edition MX-30. Front right has a tapping noise when travelling on any road that isn't perfectly smooth - ie. most roads! Front left has a louder, but more intermittent, noise. These are really noticeable is an EV as the there is no engine noise to mask it.
Another thread said that was these door noises were common enough and that the dealer fixed them.
Can anyone advise if they have experienced this and if they managed to get it fixed under warranty?

#87 ·
Iv got a reaction from mazda Netherlands. My dealer asked them about the rattling doors. Mazda Netherlands sent me a questionnaire (excel) in which i or the dealer should try different things with the doors to investigate the nature and cause of the rattling sound. I will let the dealer do the procedure and communicate with mazda. It seems there isnt a fix available yet. See for urself in my attachment.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Pattern

#88 ·
I will be interested to see the outcome MX-30. On my car, the gap at the indicated point is 3mm. It's not obvious to me how one could increase that to 5mm. The rubber seals are quite thin and moving the door won't work as that would not look right in respect of the gaps between the the front and rear of the door and the adjoining panels. Perhaps Mazda will produce a modified seal assembly. The silicon/PTFE spray works for me but the noise returns after a couple of weeks and I have to do it again. I am trying PTFE tape at the moment. First result is promising but I will give it a couple of weeks before I report further.

#89 ·
Milkfloat, a good few weeks ago my Mazda dealer told me they had an official Mazda UK fix. I had it done on the 20th of December. So far all quiet and all the Heath Robinson fixes removed including thick double sided tape on both top corners of the opening side of the front doors. 🤞 it is all quiet now. It involved realigning the front door hinges and adding additional padding (which is far as I can see is behind the existing seal at top corner of both doors where the tape used to exist) according
to the dealer worknote supplied to me. I am a bit concerned that some members say Mazda are investigating and others say their dealer has a Mazda fix. It's all a bit confusing!!!

Alan

#90 ·
My Mazda dealer says that there is Mazda UK approved fix that, presumably you have had. The problem I have is squaring a fix that puts pressure against the window with a solution that involves a lubricating spray. So far, I have resisted the fix for now though I have to make my mind up ahead of the first service due towards the end of March.

#104 ·
Checked following the instructions/check sheet Timo kindly mailed to me. All doors within tolerance. I had already pressed glass and door trim previous to mazda fix and that didn't stop it. I have checked the additional padding Mazda fitted and it is actually on the rear door as indicated in section 2 in the area with the red circle, under the seal. I have added a bit extra thick tape in that area to see how that goes.

Why do I get the feeling that Mazda are poking around in the dark and as Milkfloat has stated perhaps newly designed door seals might be the solution.

Alan

#112 ·
When driving:
I noticed that when i softly press the door in the upper left corner to the outside, the noise stops pretty fast. When i pull the door i need al lot more power to stop the noise.
U can feel the door shivering when driving, it Just moves and the sound is rubber rubbing rubber. On Both sides.

#105 ·
Back from Shrewsbury Mazda dealership and they have no record on there internal bulletin boards as for door rattle.
service manager does now about it and has heard the noise in mine and there courtesy car passenger has the noise as well because we had the car for 2 days we have logged it down with them and he said he will look into this again

#106 ·
Hi everyone. I'm writing from New Zealand where I'm one month into my MX-30 Mild Hybrid (Mazda sell a 2.0L Hybrid in NZ and Australia market) and unfortunately am starting to experience the door rattle coming from the window/door B pillar area, driver's side (RHD).

My rattle is very similar to others in that when I lower the window (or sometimes open and close the door) the rattle temporarily goes, but then re-emerges. Because it's summer here at the moment in the southern hemisphere, I only notice the rattle when the temperature is cooler like in the mornings or evenings, which suggests to me that in the sun the linings and rubber expand enough to stop the rattle. I suspect, though, that as the car ages that things will loosen up, as it has only done 1,400kms (870 miles) thus far.

I'm going to contact the dealership soon, but I'm anticipating that Mazda NZ may not be aware of the issues experienced in other markets, so am keen to keep the discussion going, particularly if anybody has more detail on a fix, or any bulletin numbers/references.

#147 ·
Hi everyone. I'm writing from New Zealand where I'm one month into my MX-30 Mild Hybrid (Mazda sell a 2.0L Hybrid in NZ and Australia market) and unfortunately am starting to experience the door rattle coming from the window/door B pillar area, driver's side (RHD).

My rattle is very similar to others in that when I lower the window (or sometimes open and close the door) the rattle temporarily goes, but then re-emerges. Because it's summer here at the moment in the southern hemisphere, I only notice the rattle when the temperature is cooler like in the mornings or evenings, which suggests to me that in the sun the linings and rubber expand enough to stop the rattle. I suspect, though, that as the car ages that things will loosen up, as it has only done 1,400kms (870 miles) thus far.

I'm going to contact the dealership soon, but I'm anticipating that Mazda NZ may not be aware of the issues experienced in other markets, so am keen to keep the discussion going, particularly if anybody has more detail on a fix, or any bulletin numbers/references.
MX30 has been in the service centre and despite being advised it was resolved (by lubricating door hinge), on the drive home the rattle returned.
The car will go back, but my hopes aren't high to be honest :(
I wish Mazda would exchange/share information between markets (e.g. all the information in Europe with Japan, then on to New Zealand), the guys in New Zealand don't know what to do about it as the MX30 is quite new to market here.
I usually purchase cars at their 'facelift' stage once the bugs are resolved, I should not have strayed from that mindset.

#107 ·
Mazda do not participate on the forum and are minimally responsive at the country level. My dealer knows of the problem and has a parts list for the fix. However he was unable to really explain what the root of the problem is and how the fix addresses it. I do not know if they have any documentation.
I believe that it is friction rubbing between the seal at the top of the door and the seal on the B pillar but I struggle to understand why opening the window affects it. When the car is in motion, perhaps the pressure change on the door moves it enough to affect the seal contact. There must be an interference fit rather than a pressure fit at some critical point and differences of 100ths of a mm are probably involved in explaing why one does or doesn't have the issue. (Note, most seals on a car body are rubber to paintwork and not rubber to rubber). It would appear logical that movement/clearance/rubbing is affected by temperature and I find that it is also affected by presence or absence of a passenger (passenger door is the issue).
The silicon spray solution works for me but I have to repeat it fortnightly so I have been experimenting with PTFE tape. After a couple of weeks I can get rid of 75% of the "rattle" with a single piece of tape stuck on the door rubber, but to eliminate the noise completely, one needs to cover around the edge curves. The outcome isn't pretty but it works and it isnt visible when the door is shut, of course: I may try to tidy it up a bit when I have the inclination. I couldn't find the tape in UK and bought it from China via ebay but it came quickly.
Plant Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

#111 ·
Mazda do not participate on the forum and are minimally responsive at the country level. My dealer knows of the problem and has a parts list for the fix. However he was unable to really explain what the root of the problem is and how the fix addresses it. I do not know if they have any documentation.
I believe that it is friction rubbing between the seal at the top of the door and the seal on the B pillar but I struggle to understand why opening the window affects it. When the car is in motion, perhaps the pressure change on the door moves it enough to affect the seal contact. There must be an interference fit rather than a pressure fit at some critical point and differences of 100ths of a mm are probably involved in explaing why one does or doesn't have the issue. (Note, most seals on a car body are rubber to paintwork and not rubber to rubber). It would appear logical that movement/clearance/rubbing is affected by temperature and I find that it is also affected by presence or absence of a passenger (passenger door is the issue).
The silicon spray solution works for me but I have to repeat it fortnightly so I have been experimenting with PTFE tape. After a couple of weeks I can get rid of 75% of the "rattle" with a single piece of tape stuck on the door rubber, but to eliminate the noise completely, one needs to cover around the edge curves. The outcome isn't pretty but it works and it isnt visible when the door is shut, of course: I may try to tidy it up a bit when I have the inclination. I couldn't find the tape in UK and bought it from China via ebay but it came quickly.
View attachment 502
I like ur no-nonsense fixing things style 😁

#113 ·
I have done this and all is now quiet. The silicon solution works for a short while but is not a permanent solution as Mazda knows! I put a bit additional padding in behind the rear door top seal and used the loop side on velcro on the door pillar. All this until Mazda come up with a true fix.
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

#117 ·
Alan, as you know, I have never been convinced that the Mazda solution is the way to go; it feels like they are clutching at straws. To me, the problem lies with the 2 rubber seals. ie., The one at the top of the door and the one on the C pillar. My PTFE fix, in an earlier post, absolutely rectifies the problem but is rather inelegant. So, I decided to go with your velcro solution slightly modified. So, along with my belief that the problem lies right in the corner, I inserted a single piece of velcro but shaped it a bit more and located it a little higher up. Two weeks on and still no rattle and the little bit of mostly hidden velcro is so unobtrusive, one barely notices it.
Automotive tire Window Door Grey Rim