Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a 20 to 30 mile drive today came home parked up as normal. Came back to car 20 minutes later and it's flashing like Blackpool illuminations. Refuses to start etc. Dashboard errors on rotate. Disconnected the 12v battery and tested it at 11v. Nothing plugged in, no lights left on etc. Called out Mazda technical services who came really quickly. Yip quick battery charge, tested all errors etc. One error shown. Multimedia module drawing on 12v module. Now remember I have had the s/w updates including am035a. The technician reconfigured the module to remove the issue. He reckons it a blip. Really happy with the service but it does make you wonder! Car all fine now馃 hopefully but be aware the update is not a blanket fix given the technician stated there are 36 modules...

Alan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was lucky I had a switched on technician who worked for Allianz, who must be subcontracted to Mazda for call outs/breakdowns. He knew about the car, well known faults, software updates etc. When I pointed out the low 12v battery charge he immediately went for something drawing on the 12v module and asked if I had am035a installed. When I stated yes and confirmed no lights left on etc. he gave the battery a quick blast and them plugged his diagnostic tool into the obd socket to check that all the updates had been done properly before discovering the multimedia error. Overall about a 20 minute driveway fix just 15 minutes after placing the call. Superb service. It does reinforce the importance of the lowly 12v battery, what can suck on it and how it screws the overall car when low on power. I got every warning message on the dash known to man. Do I buy a smart 12v battery charger now I ask in case the callout times get longer...giving it some serious thought!

Alan

Registered
MX 30 100 year anniversary
Hi Alan, I was thinking of something that could be connected to this thread. Laying up the car. Should you take any precautions, such as disconnecting the 12v batter. I hear a lot of woe, that will kill the alarm. Thing is I was thinking if the car is being stood for a while can the battery be removed & put on a trickle charger. I used to do this with a Kia Nero cause just standing for a long period the battery would gradually drain. Also if you get a false alarm whilst away that could cause a lot of problems for neighbour. Anybody got any thoughts on this.
Paul.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul, best leaving it connected in my opinion but using a smart charger that will top it up and then trickle charge it on an as need basis. You can disconnect it but on this particular car I have absolutely no idea what the longer term disconnect may produce. Perhaps someone on the forum has done it and can enlighten us. The alarms are the same as ICE cars at a basic level so the risk is probably the same except for the random ones we are experiencing!!! My opinion only....

Alan

Registered
After a 20 to 30 mile drive today came home parked up as normal. Came back to car 20 minutes later and it's flashing like Blackpool illuminations. Refuses to start etc. Dashboard errors on rotate. Disconnected the 12v battery and tested it at 11v. Nothing plugged in, no lights left on etc. Called out Mazda technical services who came really quickly. Yip quick battery charge, tested all errors etc. One error shown. Multimedia module drawing on 12v module. Now remember I have had the s/w updates including am035a. The technician reconfigured the module to remove the issue. He reckons it a blip. Really happy with the service but it does make you wonder! Car all fine now馃 hopefully but be aware the update is not a blanket fix given the technician stated there are 36 modules...

Alan
Alan had the updates yesterday.
Two issues post updates.

1 car stops charging at 64%.
Charging complete. No its not. Programed to stop at 90%
Restarted charging. Has never happened before.

2 Real slippery this morning. kind of surprised by the fact that the anti slip system DSC? symbol never lights up in spite of slippery winding roads in the countryside. Usually in similar cicumstances it would. Moments later car starts slipping badly briefly loose control no symbol lights up in the instrument cluster.?????

Contacted the dealer. Alan this could be a coincidence. But the fact that I loose control and the anti slip thing does not light up makes you wonder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Viva, if I may call you that

Is the undercharging scenario a one off or a regular occurrence now?

Is the tcs/dcs light illuminating on start up then going off?

All tyres the same, no chains or anything that can alter the tyre dimensions?

The handbook does say that dcs will not work if hydroplaning
(reduced tyre friction and road contact because of water on the road surface) occurs. Was that the condition?

And yip it does make you wonder..the amount of times I have done major software updates that closes one door but allows another to open....and another..

Alan

Registered
MX-30 SE-L Lux
Speaking of closing one door and allowing another to open, have they fixed the issue where you unlock the car, open the charge flap, let the car re-lock by itself after 30 seconds and the passenger door can be opened?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seasidebaz, never experienced that one! I always have the key in my pocket so I can't try it. Will get my gal to try it next time we are out and about. School days as we said!

Alan

Registered
Viva, if I may call you that

Is the undercharging scenario a one off or a regular occurrence now?

Is the tcs/dcs light illuminating on start up then going off?

All tyres the same, no chains or anything that can alter the tyre dimensions?

The handbook does say that dcs will not work if hydroplaning
(reduced tyre friction and road contact because of water on the road surface) occurs. Was that the condition?

And yip it does make you wonder..the amount of times I have done major software updates that closes one door but allows another to open....and another..

Alan
Hi Alan,
Seems to be charging OK right now at work. There was little hydro involved well in the solid form. Air temp 1 degree C guessing the road was colder. Black slip we call it. Oh well. Mazda is looking into it. Alan for give my manners my name is Anders. You may call me what you like, well almost馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK Anders it is!

I have never had the undercharge scenario happen apart from when the charger comms went a bit wonky but will keep an eye on it! And 馃 not yet had skid conditions to challenge my body functions馃樂

Alan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don't need to disconnect. Do not connect directly across the terminals. Positive is fine. Negative goes where that lead connects to the bodywork. Also I would recommend checking battery voltage before charger use. I assume the Bosch has a voltage indicator?

Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts