Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
MX 30 100 year anniversary
47 Posts
Hi PPJ yea am an octopus customer so will go on that tariff, have been with octopus since they took over from engie but didn’t have smart meters. Their engineers fitting them or it tomorrow so will then order smart cable & get the install done. Great stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all have just ordered my ohme smart cable. I’ve asked for commando at one end but at the car end I’ve asked for a type two, not completed the order yet as the owner manual refers to A & B. I’m sure I’m correct though. Looking for reassurance. Help!!!!!! Ha ha Happy driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered the commando with type 2 at the other end, it works right out of the box and charges at 7.4kwh so it must be right for the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cheers PPJ will place the order, soon be cooking on electric. Ha ha must get onto octopus & get that special tariff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm brand new to EVs - I know there is a government grant but I take it Mazda don't contribute anything? (which is fine) just wanted to check the best route to get a home installer getting the car in two weeks :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will not regret it. This is a great car but unfortunately the hassle involved for a home charger is a nightmare. You don’t always qualify for the grant. I didn’t through no fault of my own, unless I let ENW lay a new supply cable. It is free but I ordered my car in July up to now it would be another 8 to 10 weeks just for the supply then how much longer for the install. This way with the smart cable & a small amount of wiring it’s a win win & if I ever move I can take it with me. Mazda handed over to one company NEW MOTION not up to it plain & simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will not regret it. This is a great car but unfortunately the hassle involved for a home charger is a nightmare. You don’t always qualify for the grant. I didn’t through no fault of my own, unless I let ENW lay a new supply cable. It is free but I ordered my car in July up to now it would be another 8 to 10 weeks just for the supply then how much longer for the install. This way with the smart cable & a small amount of wiring it’s a win win & if I ever move I can take it with me. Mazda handed over to one company NEW MOTION not up to it plain & simple.
For out and about charging - are there any types I can't use? e.g.

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Number

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not got that far into it myself but there are a lot out there zap map gives a lot but then you need the apps for a lot. There are a lot of people on the forum who will probably know more than me. Also there are supposed to be a lot of free ones. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For out and about charging - are there any types I can't use? e.g.

View attachment 358
You can use any CCS charger for Rapid charging. These are best for charging en-route. The maximum speed that the car can charge at is 37kw per hour. (i.e. if you use a 50kw CCS charger or a 350kw CCS charger, it will still be a maximum of 37kw per hour).

Type 2 - can use - this is the same connection as a home charger Your maximum speed will be approx 6.6kw per hour - some times get a little more. (again - if the charger can deliver 22kw, you will still only get the slower speed).

CHAdeMO - is the older standard the Leafs and some others used. You can't use these. Most chargers now give you both options.

Tesco have a lots of free Type 2 chargers - just be careful of the maximum stay in the car park.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm brand new to EVs - I know there is a government grant but I take it Mazda don't contribute anything? (which is fine) just wanted to check the best route to get a home installer getting the car in two weeks :)
Most installers will sort the OLEV Grant out for you. You shouldn't need to do anything. The main delays at the moment seem to be that most chargers are in short supply. e.g. JOJU solar install different types of charger in a number of areas of the country so not limited to one choice. There's a load of information on their website about everything home charging. (*other installers are available :)).

Once you've got one installed, you'll appreciate the difference in speed.

I've had a New Motion charger since April and it does a good job. Going to swap it to a Zappi charger next year as I am having Solar PV installed and didn't realise that the New Motion charger won't integrate properly into the system

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can use any CCS charger for Rapid charging. These are best for charging en-route. The maximum speed that the car can charge at is 37kw per hour. (i.e. if you use a 50kw CCS charger or a 350kw CCS charger, it will still be a maximum of 37kw per hour).

Type 2 - can use - this is the same connection as a home charger Your maximum speed will be approx 6.6kw per hour - some times get a little more. (again - if the charger can deliver 22kw, you will still only get the slower speed).

CHAdeMO - is the older standard the Leafs and some others used. You can't use these. Most chargers now give you both options.

Tesco have a lots of free Type 2 chargers - just be careful of the maximum stay in the car park.
Thanks for explaining! Do they usually have the type on the app or charging unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes on the app there's an information tab that gives that information, we need either type 2 for 7kwh or CCS for 50kwh, most have both and also a chademo socket which is nissan only, generally use CCS at most places.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Another newbie question - can I just leave the car and go for a coffee? Is there charging status on the app or can you pre-program how long it charges?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes you can just lock the car and leave it charging, the car will text you when it finishes charging or you can monitor it from the status page in the App.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another newbie question - can I just leave the car and go for a coffee? Is there charging status on the app or can you pre-program how long it charges?

As well as the Mazda app - If you charge at an InstaVolt charger and use their app, their app shows you what the current speed of charge is and the charge of the car. The new Osprey chargers will do this by scanning the QR code on the charger.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts