Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just signed the deal on a 4 year lease of a MX30 GT. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a home charger but I do have access to a 50kw DC fast charger which is about 30 seconds walk from where I live. I drive about 200-300km a day on average so I’m thinking about topping the car up to 100% every night and park it in the garage, when I finished my morning routine I’ll fast charge it up to 90% ish then do my afternoon rounds. When I’m home eating dinner I can put the car on DC again until I go out at night to do my night shifts. Will the car allow me to frequently DC fast charge the car? I heard someone was talking about Nissan Leaf won’t fast charge after a few charges in a day due to battery temp issue. Also will I void my warranty if I only use DC fast charge? If not then how much degradation I’ll get throughout the 4 years period. For me personally as long as it has 60-70 miles in -20C weather I’ll be able to live with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
200 to 300 KM a day is not ideal for an MX-30 considering it has a range of 200 KM at 100% This means you will be charging multiple times a day.

Also DC fast charging on a regular basis will degrade the battery faster than AC charging at 7.3 kWh. If you did 120 KM a day this would be a good fit.

This is not a long range vehicle it’s meant for people who live in the city that charge 3 to 4 times a week. Who have access to a level 2 charger at their home or within walking distance to their home.

Also you will probably never see 50 kWh on a DC fast charge. Even with my battery warm from a long drive and at 27 C ambient temperature I have only seen 38 Max then it tapers off.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200 to 300 KM a day is not ideal for an MX-30 considering it has a range of 200 KM at 100% This means you will be charging multiple times a day.

Also DC fast charging on a regular basis will degrade the battery faster than AC charging at 7.3 kWh. If you did 120 KM a day this would be a good fit.

This is not a long range vehicle it’s meant for people who live in the city that charge 3 to 4 times a week. Who have access to a level 2 charger at their home or within walking distance to their home.

Also you will probably never see 50 kWh on a DC fast charge. Even with my battery warm from a long drive and at 27 C ambient temperature I have only seen 38 Max then it tapers off.

View attachment 624
Thanks!
I have the luxury of spilt my trips evenly through out the day and have about 2 hours free time at home for charging during lunch and dinner. I’m wondering how long does it takes to charge on DC from 0-100%? If it can be done in 2 hrs then this car will be perfect for me. Since it can charge when I’m home and able to have full charge as soon as I leave. Battery degradation isn’t my main concern, either it will be covered under the warranty or it will be next owner’s problem after I return the lease. The DC fast charger is located in a private parking lot and they have agreed if I rent a spot there it is possible for them to give me that spot with the charge for me on a long term lease basis. Basically the car will be plugged into the DC fast charger as soon as I got home. I think it’s a pretty good idea since I never have to use a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks!
I have the luxury of spilt my trips evenly through out the day and have about 2 hours free time at home for charging during lunch and dinner. I’m wondering how long does it takes to charge on DC from 0-100%? If it can be done in 2 hrs then this car will be perfect for me. Since it can charge when I’m home and able to have full charge as soon as I leave. Battery degradation isn’t my main concern, either it will be covered under the warranty or it will be next owner’s problem after I return the lease. The DC fast charger is located in a private parking lot and they have agreed if I rent a spot there it is possible for them to give me that spot with the charge for me on a long term lease basis. Basically the car will be plugged into the DC fast charger as soon as I got home. I think it’s a pretty good idea since I never have to use a level 2 charger.
Once the car gets down to 30 miles left, a warning will chime you will notice a reduction in power at this point. Most people will not recommend draining the battery below 20% and charging above 90%. But you seem like you don’t care about the battery since your leasing so 0 to 100 would take 1 hour 20 minutes with the last 10% taking the longest at 20 minutes for the last 10% because the charger will taper off to protect the battery.

I really think a car with double the range would be a better fit. But since it’s already a done deal good luck. Charging all the time is going to get old really quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once the car gets down to 30 miles left, a warning will chime you will notice a reduction in power at this point. Most people will not recommend draining the battery below 20% and charging above 90%. But you seem like you don’t care about the battery since your leasing so 0 to 100 would take 1 hour 20 minutes with the last 10% taking the longest at 20 minutes for the last 10% because the charger will taper off to protect the battery.

I really think a car with double the range would be a better fit. But since it’s already a done deal good luck. Charging all the time is going to get old really quick.
Only 1hour and 20 minutes! That’s perfect! The reason why I went with a shorter range car is because this is the only EV I currently able to get my hands on. Kona EV is about 4-6 months wait, IONIQ 5 has no ETA, Model 3 is about 8-10 months wait. Plus the interior of the MX30! I’d live with all those compromises just to have that interior. Also thanks for all the info! I can’t find the 0-100% DC fast charge time anywhere on the web. Hopefully it will work out well for me. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts