Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just signed the deal on a 4 year lease of a MX30 GT. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a home charger but I do have access to a 50kw DC fast charger which is about 30 seconds walk from where I live. I drive about 200-300km a day on average so I’m thinking about topping the car up to 100% every night and park it in the garage, when I finished my morning routine I’ll fast charge it up to 90% ish then do my afternoon rounds. When I’m home eating dinner I can put the car on DC again until I go out at night to do my night shifts. Will the car allow me to frequently DC fast charge the car? I heard someone was talking about Nissan Leaf won’t fast charge after a few charges in a day due to battery temp issue. Also will I void my warranty if I only use DC fast charge? If not then how much degradation I’ll get throughout the 4 years period. For me personally as long as it has 60-70 miles in -20C weather I’ll be able to live with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
200 to 300 KM a day is not ideal for an MX-30 considering it has a range of 200 KM at 100% This means you will be charging multiple times a day.

Also DC fast charging on a regular basis will degrade the battery faster than AC charging at 7.3 kWh. If you did 120 KM a day this would be a good fit.

This is not a long range vehicle it’s meant for people who live in the city that charge 3 to 4 times a week. Who have access to a level 2 charger at their home or within walking distance to their home.

Also you will probably never see 50 kWh on a DC fast charge. Even with my battery warm from a long drive and at 27 C ambient temperature I have only seen 38 Max then it tapers off.

Product Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200 to 300 KM a day is not ideal for an MX-30 considering it has a range of 200 KM at 100% This means you will be charging multiple times a day.

Also DC fast charging on a regular basis will degrade the battery faster than AC charging at 7.3 kWh. If you did 120 KM a day this would be a good fit.

This is not a long range vehicle it’s meant for people who live in the city that charge 3 to 4 times a week. Who have access to a level 2 charger at their home or within walking distance to their home.

Also you will probably never see 50 kWh on a DC fast charge. Even with my battery warm from a long drive and at 27 C ambient temperature I have only seen 38 Max then it tapers off.

View attachment 624
Thanks!
I have the luxury of spilt my trips evenly through out the day and have about 2 hours free time at home for charging during lunch and dinner. I’m wondering how long does it takes to charge on DC from 0-100%? If it can be done in 2 hrs then this car will be perfect for me. Since it can charge when I’m home and able to have full charge as soon as I leave. Battery degradation isn’t my main concern, either it will be covered under the warranty or it will be next owner’s problem after I return the lease. The DC fast charger is located in a private parking lot and they have agreed if I rent a spot there it is possible for them to give me that spot with the charge for me on a long term lease basis. Basically the car will be plugged into the DC fast charger as soon as I got home. I think it’s a pretty good idea since I never have to use a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks!
I have the luxury of spilt my trips evenly through out the day and have about 2 hours free time at home for charging during lunch and dinner. I’m wondering how long does it takes to charge on DC from 0-100%? If it can be done in 2 hrs then this car will be perfect for me. Since it can charge when I’m home and able to have full charge as soon as I leave. Battery degradation isn’t my main concern, either it will be covered under the warranty or it will be next owner’s problem after I return the lease. The DC fast charger is located in a private parking lot and they have agreed if I rent a spot there it is possible for them to give me that spot with the charge for me on a long term lease basis. Basically the car will be plugged into the DC fast charger as soon as I got home. I think it’s a pretty good idea since I never have to use a level 2 charger.
Once the car gets down to 30 miles left, a warning will chime you will notice a reduction in power at this point. Most people will not recommend draining the battery below 20% and charging above 90%. But you seem like you don’t care about the battery since your leasing so 0 to 100 would take 1 hour 20 minutes with the last 10% taking the longest at 20 minutes for the last 10% because the charger will taper off to protect the battery.

I really think a car with double the range would be a better fit. But since it’s already a done deal good luck. Charging all the time is going to get old really quick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once the car gets down to 30 miles left, a warning will chime you will notice a reduction in power at this point. Most people will not recommend draining the battery below 20% and charging above 90%. But you seem like you don’t care about the battery since your leasing so 0 to 100 would take 1 hour 20 minutes with the last 10% taking the longest at 20 minutes for the last 10% because the charger will taper off to protect the battery.

I really think a car with double the range would be a better fit. But since it’s already a done deal good luck. Charging all the time is going to get old really quick.
Only 1hour and 20 minutes! That’s perfect! The reason why I went with a shorter range car is because this is the only EV I currently able to get my hands on. Kona EV is about 4-6 months wait, IONIQ 5 has no ETA, Model 3 is about 8-10 months wait. Plus the interior of the MX30! I’d live with all those compromises just to have that interior. Also thanks for all the info! I can’t find the 0-100% DC fast charge time anywhere on the web. Hopefully it will work out well for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello everyone! Just signed the deal on a 4 year lease of a MX30 GT. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a home charger but I do have access to a 50kw DC fast charger which is about 30 seconds walk from where I live. I drive about 200-300km a day on average so I’m thinking about topping the car up to 100% every night and park it in the garage, when I finished my morning routine I’ll fast charge it up to 90% ish then do my afternoon rounds. When I’m home eating dinner I can put the car on DC again until I go out at night to do my night shifts. Will the car allow me to frequently DC fast charge the car? I heard someone was talking about Nissan Leaf won’t fast charge after a few charges in a day due to battery temp issue. Also will I void my warranty if I only use DC fast charge? If not then how much degradation I’ll get throughout the 4 years period. For me personally as long as it has 60-70 miles in -20C weather I’ll be able to live with it. Thanks!
Sorry but this is probably not a great idea. Love your enthusiasm though.

Repeated DC charging heats the battery a lot and on a daily basis, even worse. With this routine chances are your battery will never chill.

You might go nuts spending your life trying to charge the too small battery for your needs. Especially without your own wallbox.

In winter when charging speeds go down and consumption up things will get even worse.

On the other hand Tesla taxis/cabs have been DC charged a lot. But this use case does sound extreme. Teslas DC charge considerably faster than the Mazda and have a more sophisticated plus bigger battery+
charging setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only 1hour and 20 minutes! That’s perfect! The reason why I went with a shorter range car is because this is the only EV I currently able to get my hands on. Kona EV is about 4-6 months wait, IONIQ 5 has no ETA, Model 3 is about 8-10 months wait. Plus the interior of the MX30! I’d live with all those compromises just to have that interior. Also thanks for all the info! I can’t find the 0-100% DC fast charge time anywhere on the web. Hopefully it will work out well for me. Thanks!
Did you receive your car? Did this charging strategy work out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts