Mazda MX-30 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
In its first documentation about the MX-30, references were made to 3 Phase charging.
As the MX-30 only can charge 1 Phase, the information caused confusion.

Usually new owners may think that an offer as the Dutch Mazda organisation made to interested persons with the charging station by EVBox was interesting, may find themselves disappointed as 3 Phase charging is impossble and leave the owner with a 3 Phase electricity system that only is capable of charging 1 Phase.
If your home electricity system is fuses at 16A, then 3 Phase will delever only 1 Phase 16A (3680 kwh).

My home electricity system is 3 Phase 16A (installed this way because of the confusing Mazda info).
I started looking for a charging system that could provide me with more Amps, so I could have a faster charge for my MX-30.
I finally found a couple of systems that could deliver 1 Phase at a higher Amp from 3 Phase.
One system is made in Holland, but uses older technics and is rather high priced.
The other system is developed and made in Poland and offers a max 32A charging rate convertinmg 3 Phase into 1 Phase.
I have read all info at their website, where you also can find the sales prices.
Anyway, after having contacted them and asked wich of the 2 chargers they have for this purpose, I have been advised to buy the 6kW version, also because 6,6kW is the maximum charging rate of the MX-30.
The website I found all the necessary info is evtun.com.
IMHO this is the momentarily best option for charging (see the pic I took from their website, right one).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

I’m soon a new owner of the MX-30 and in the process of getting a home charge box I have been searching around about the 1-phase vs. 3-phase option. I must admit it is not crystal clear about what charging time I can obtain with the limitation of 16 ampere..

At purchase day the dealer and staff from the workshop insisted on that a 3-phase 16 ampere box is what I should buy, that would give me the max 6.6 Kw to the battery and as I understood, about 5 hr to full charge.

I have the 3-phase power line available at home.

My conclusion right now is that the US cars will be delivered with a Type 1 socket and the EURO cars comes with a Type 2 socket ( Type 1 can charge with only 1 phase and Type 2 with 3 phases).

Can I safely assume that my car would charge to full in those 4-6 hrs if I go 3-phase, 16 ampere and a box that supply more then 6.6 Kw?

I actually do not find any information on the net about 3-phase limitation on the MX-30 other then the socket differences between US and Europe.

Greetings!
Daniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
You state you have 3 Phase at home.
Assuming that the home fuse is 16A (3-Phase is 3x16A)

Mind that the MX-30 only can charge 1-Phase.
That leaves you at 1 Phase 16A (max. 3.7 kWu) with a 3 Phase charger.

I first fell into that trap because of misleading info from Mazda (an example based on 3-Phase home net).
Have looked at various options and have chosen AccelEV 2-Phase charger.
This charger converts 2 out of 3 Phases into a 1-Phase charger at maximum double Amps.

Although rather expensive, this charger charges 0-100% in approx 6 hours.
Charging overnight is the best option as it often has a better kW price (in NL between 23-07 hrs at 0,21 euro).
Buying directly from the manufacturer in Poland gives you cheaper cables if you need longer cables than standard.
Besides this, the charger can be considered "portable" (15 kg for the 6+ kV version).
This charger now is also equiped with WiFi.

I'm very content with the charger, the options prices, the delivery, belonging info and charging speed.
Buyers should think of spreading the higher price over the years.
Look at evtun.com for more info (I'm not an employee :)).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the informative reply!

If the MX-30 can charge with 1 phase just it seems clear that it leaves me with the option to either take a closer look at the charger you mentioned or increase the ampere provided, or just settle with the 3.7Kw.

It's a bit odd though that that charger seems to be the only one on the market using this "super-phase" tech, makes me figure why. Is it just the price or does it have any other "downsides"?

I will think this through a bit and will update about my decicion, thanks again for the reply!

Greetings, Daniel

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you will be satisfied with over 10 hours charging time, just get a 1 Phase charger (cheaper than a 3-Phase charger).
Should you need to drive each day, the AccelEV charger will be your best solution.

I have not yet found any downsides of the AccelEV, except for the price (I paid Euro 1449 incl. VAT) for the 6+ kW model.
Since the Mazda limits charging to 6,6 kWh the 6+ kW model will be sufficiently for your car's needs.
I suggest you read all of the info available on their website, take your time, it's a lot! :), but very informative.

About other chargers (both 1-Phase and 3-Phase) they are likely more targeting european 3-Phase charging cars, depending on the electricity home net one has.
Mind that - in your specific situation - if you want to upgrade your home net from 3-Phase 16A to 3-Phase 32A, you still have infufficient current (32A * 1,6 = 20A, giving you a mere 5,5 kW) at a higher subscription rate (in NL standard rate for 1-Phase 16A or 3 Phase 16A is euro 256 a year; subscription for 32A either 1-Phase or 3-Phase is about euro 960 a year). That is also besides the costs for upgrading!

Advice: Read all info and decide what's best for your situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too was a bit confused with the information provided. At the time when I placed my order, I was promised a free wallbox device, this was 11kW 3phase 16A wallbox from Schneider, partner of Mazda here in Slovakia. But I've already found an information about 1phase 6.6kw onboard charger. After little bit of digging, it appeared that even Mazda folks were given incorrect information about onboard charger of MX30 and passed this wrong specification to Schneider.
To me it didn't make any sense getting 3phase wallbox for MX-30, because car's charger would utilise only one phase (that's how i understand it), resulting in only 3.7kwh at 16 amps - that would mean around 8h40m long charge (I am using 32kw capacity available in the car) from 0-100% (not that this would happen too often if at all)

So I decided to press on Mazda and Schneider and they added another wallbox option. I ended up getting 1phase smart wallbox capable of 8-32A (Amperage can be set via ethernet or wifi (separate module) when connected to the wallbox) with a small charge extra for variant with T2 cable attached.

The limitation of the connection I can get here in the residential area is 25A max, 1 or 3 phase, but since it's more expensive to get 3phase connection, I've opted for 1 phase 25A connection, but did all the cabling in the garage as 3phase, futureproofing it for next electric car with 3 phase charger I guess :)

At 25A I can get maximum of 5.75kWh which is acceptable - means 0-100% in 5h30m long charge opposed to advertised 4h50m at full chargers capacity.

Now, I cannot say this is my expertise in the least so I got in touch with a Schneider representative I was dealing with during the process, and he confirmed the initially offered 3phase wallbox doesn't do any phase merging. So if this device Weljo mentioned works as advertised, it's not bad option I guess.

My guess is, Mazda initially planned 2 phase onboard charger, and changed it in the process, or it was only specified 2 phase for japanese market and 1 phase for european market. But I am only speculating, I guess we will never know where the confusion came from.
Anyway, here are the pictures of my EVSE opened and in full beauty (link)
1602505819919.png 1602505876449.png

Weljo, do you mind sharing how much did this installation cost you in the end?
My total costs were somewhere in the region of 750 euros, roughly 250 extra for the variant with a cable, 300 for the additional equipment like all kinds of voltage protection thingies I don't understand, and 200 euros for certification. Plus extra for the certified eletrician and the work done (around 250 euros). It was roughly what I expected extra costs of getting started with EV would be.

Btw, basic tariff here is 19cents for 1kWh, best option is 11-13cents but only makes sense if I was charging a lot (there is a higher monthly base fee)
Different electric company offers special EV tariffs, with only 9cents for a kwh, but this is not available yet where I live. This price is only for smart wallboxes (allows electric company to throttle or turn off the wallbox if network needs it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Linvs: I mentioned the AccelEV 2-Phase to 1-Phase charger's price in my previous message (euro 1449 including VAT, transport and PayPal charges). My electrical system upgrade from 1-Phase 16A to 3-Phase 16A - based on the incorrect info by Mazda - costed euro 350 incl. VAT.
So together this costed me 1800 euro (a little less). Driving this car for 5 years and writing off the charger and costs, is approx. euro 360 a year. That gives me charging times less than 6 hrs from 10-90% charging range.
So I always know my car is ready for the maximum trip range.
BTW: I noticed a fully 100% charge to give 205 kms, a little over the factory's indication.

BTW2: AccelEV uses very techniques to offer fast charging, battery balancing management, slow charging start, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Weljo thanks for the answer, I must have missed it

to compare, I only had car charged to 100% 3 times, first time when I got it from the dealer, they charged it to 100% and the range was 209km
twice I charged the car to 100 was at the 50kW charger before taking a longer trip (154km round trip) and I started with range 188km first time round and 190km after second full charge.
I got back with 12% battery and 26km remaining on both trips (identical route - mix of motorway and B roads and villages)
I have car set to 80% on AC and 90% DC, so these are only 2 instances of 100% charge
I've also never dropped below that 12% so far, I usually charge at around 25-30% (works out once every 3-4 days). 980km clocked so far, averaging at 16.7 kWh per 100km (that's nicely well under declared 19kWh - I am happy) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts