Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night headed home with the MX 30. SOC about 53%. Distance home 127 km. Fast Chargers along the way at least 6.
Ideal conditions with 21 to 22 C little to no wind. Loads of hills initially. Grumpy +tired toddler and bored dog on board. Plus driver kind of excited by ideal EV conditions. Technical brake to refasten escape prone toddler. Dog issue with other dogs out walking minor rerouting to avoid other dogs.
So did we have to charge or not on the way?
A better route planner, really useable app, wanted us to charge. ABRP predicted 100 minutes home.
So with a defensive driving style and a delay of 13 minutes compared to ABRP got 0 SOC at the neighbours.
Its probably better for battery longevity to stop and charge but just could not be bothered. Toddler and dog 100% uninterested in charging stop. Time wise it would have been a zero sum game probably. Buffer below 0 SOC allegedly about 20 km in summer.
Consumption according to MX 30
12,3kWh/100 km.
We made it馃榾馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
PS Was there a turtle mode or reduced acceleration? Funnily enough not this time. Just a couple of warnings. That's it. But then towards the end of the trip with limited juice available you take it easy. But not crazy easy either like 50 to 70 kmh. Below 10% did not go faster than 80 kmh. Sorry for the weird format with several postings in a row. /Anders

Registered
Well Anders, it was only a matter of time until you ran to 0%. It's reassuring that you give us confidence to do that in extremis and I thank you for your curiosity. What percentage did you charge to initially, and what overall range did you achieve? I have only achieved better than 5.05 mile/kWhr (12.3 in km) when the trip included a nett elevation reduction.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Anders, it was only a matter of time until you ran to 0%. It's reassuring that you give us confidence to do that in extremis and I thank you for your curiosity. What percentage did you charge to initially, and what overall range did you achieve? I have only achieved better than 5.05 mile/kWhr (12.3 in km) when the trip included a nett elevation reduction.
HI MILKFLOAT,
This was a daytrip from coast to coast in the south of Sweden. Elevation was basically from zero to zero or thereabouts. A hilly district between the Baltic and Kattegatt/North sea.
Going out started w 93% if memory servers me right arrived w 38%. Sunny and warm, slight head wind and used the AC. 65% for 127 km. 15,4? kWh/100 km. Granny charger, then return trip. Left w 53, or was it 56?%. Went home non stop car claimed 12,3 kWh/100 km.

What made me slightly bolder here was NAF/motor.no claiming 21 km left at 0% SOC for the MX-30. So when you get 0% SOC maybe you in fact have 8 or 9% left? A buffer is normal but with the limited range on offer the buffer seems relatively generous. Or what do you think?
Mazda calls the car eXperimental so what the heck lets experiment.
The car claims 17,5 kWh/100 km winter and 14,2 kWh/100 km summer.
These warm days the app predicts about 200 km for 90%.

Registered
Well you ignore how well the car drives and the fact that the vast majority of trips are less than 60km and obsess about range. That said, I am in mid-Wales at the moment. There is minimal EV infrastructure here so for this 1000 km trip, it is with a petrol engine I'm afraid!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You misunderstand me I m afraid.
IF you want to push it to its limits you have to pay attention to details. And thats just a fact.
I see it as a great car built to be used a lot. But hey what do I know?
Where did you get the idea I dont like how it drives? Its a mystery. But you are right. I dont like how it drives.
I looooooove how it drives馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
Did close to 300 km today thanks to
public charging. 馃嚫馃嚜馃嚜馃嚭

Registered
"How can you not dig this car?" Well you ignore how delightful it is to drive, and dwell only on its range. I regard mine as my primary car because I do 90% of all my trips in it. With an electric car, you have to be clear on your buying specification. In my case, I am sure that I do not want to take 3/4 tonne of batteries to the golf club!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK OK Milkfloat will try to stop dwelling on range. The point I am desperately trying to make here is that it is capable of much more than the local runabout. Just try to encourage and pep fellow MX-30 owners to dare to use it for more adventures and fun. Start using that granny charger when you visit family, start finding destination chargers, start going to a 50 kW charger at low State of Charge just for fun. Mazda even includes three towings or transports to a charger in this market if you run out of juice. I might be wrong but get the impression that some owners are overly cautious and dont get the most out of their MX-30s. Which is kind of sad. We are lucky to own a longer range EV but the MX-30 easily covers more than 95% of our trips.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well you ignore how well the car drives and the fact that the vast majority of trips are less than 60km and obsess about range. That said, I am in mid-Wales at the moment. There is minimal EV infrastructure here so for this 1000 km trip, it is with a petrol engine I'm afraid!
Chargers in Wales according to Plug Share. Heaps of chargers by the looks of it. But sure things

can improve.

Registered
OK OK Milkfloat will try to stop dwelling on range. The point I am desperately trying to make here is that it is capable of much more than the local runabout. Just try to encourage and pep fellow MX-30 owners to dare to use it for more adventures and fun. Start using that granny charger when you visit family, start finding destination chargers, start going to a 50 kW charger at low State of Charge just for fun. Mazda even includes three towings or transports to a charger in this market if you run out of juice. I might be wrong but get the impression that some owners are overly cautious and dont get the most out of their MX-30s. Which is kind of sad. We are lucky to own a longer range EV but the MX-30 easily covers more than 95% of our trips.

The MX-30 is the first EV I have owned. Most of my journeys only require the use of my home charger. Decided to try a longer journey this weekend after reading this thread.

Drove 220miles (approx 350km) on a day trip. Mixture of motorways and country roads. 20min rapid charge on the way and 30min rapid charge on return. Started at 100%. Had a plan B and plan C in case chargers not working. Worked out really well and definitely going to use it for longer journeys like this. Car was great to drive throughout.

The battery got much warmer throughout the day - when I got home, it said I needed to cool the battery down - never seen this before and found it tucked away in the user manual. I had assumed it would do this whilst driving but looks like this not the case - is this correct?

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, mission accomplished!
That s great to hear. Sounds like a terrific day. Overheating is a problem I never really came across. Warm weather, high speed, driving for a number of hours, charging? During charging it tends to cool the battery actively though. Doing 450 km in one day the battery temp did go up but not dramatically...slow down, park in the shade??? You would kind of expect it to keep it within a given temp range?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The MX-30 is the first EV I have owned. Most of my journeys only require the use of my home charger. Decided to try a longer journey this weekend after reading this thread.

Drove 220miles (approx 350km) on a day trip. Mixture of motorways and country roads. 20min rapid charge on the way and 30min rapid charge on return. Started at 100%. Had a plan B and plan C in case chargers not working. Worked out really well and definitely going to use it for longer journeys like this. Car was great to drive throughout.

The battery got much warmer throughout the day - when I got home, it said I needed to cool the battery down - never seen this before and found it tucked away in the user manual. I had assumed it would do this whilst driving but looks like this not the case - is this correct?

Thanks for all the info in this thread.
What did the manual tell you to do to cool the battery? Found something about constant speed, not too slow. Not really compatible with the manual find it a bit hard to digest.
How did it work out?

Registered
What did the manual tell you to do to cool the battery? Found something about constant speed, not too slow. Not really compatible with the manual find it a bit hard to digest.
How did it work out?
When I finished the journey and powered the car off, a message appeared saying press start to cool the battery. Had to look really hard to find this reference in the manual - see below.

It would be really useful if Mazda created an 'EV for dummies' guide for first time owners of EVs!

Loving the car still.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I finished the journey and powered the car off, a message appeared saying press start to cool the battery. Had to look really hard to find this reference in the manual - see below.

View attachment 277

It would be really useful if Mazda created an 'EV for dummies' guide for first time owners of EVs!

Loving the car still.
Would it not be better if it were the other way round? Press something NOT to cool an overheated battery?
That makes more sense.

Registered
MX 30 100 year anniversary
I know this is a bit off of the topic but not sure how to start a new thread, perhaps somebody will tell me. Anyway my question is this, what does the lead acid battery do? I am assuming that it runs ancillaries such as lights, radio, heating etc. Sure some one will enlighten me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts