Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Never seen anything higher than 38 kW.
But the charging curve is a good shape.
So it charges surprisingly well at higher states of charge relatively speaking.

The trick though is to charge at lower SOC after driving with a warmer battery. If you plan to rapid charge all the time you will be happier with another EV e g Ioniq5, Tesla etc.
But for occasional use its absolutely fine.
Short top ups to make it home is no problem.
I charge daily with 22kw charger, only on weekend i charge it with rapid charger, do you think it Will damage the battery ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is almost certainly 22kW AC so you actually charge at 6.6kW which is the limit of the AC charge controller. That will be just fine as it is what most of us use, albeit normally from a 7 (ish) kW supply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I charge daily with 22kw charger, only on weekend i charge it with rapid charger, do you think it Will damage the battery ?
The truth is it is not totally clear. But If you talk about rapid charging, by CCS, the speed is so absurdly low its seems highly unlikely. In my limited experience temperature does not increase a lot during rapid charging with the MX-30. Heat generated is obviously a major concern.
So low speed can be frustrating but it should in theory be good news for battery health. To my knowledge there is zero statistics on battery degradation for the MX-30. Mazda probably knows but has not revealed anything.
In theory o lot of charging cycles, because of the limited battery size, could be a concern. But on the other hand charging is very cautious and conservative so that should be good news.
The general wisdom is that the battery will easily outlive the car in most modern EVs. Time will tell. Use it a lot and let it work is my approach. An EV sitting around 99% of the time like a garden gnome makes zero sense.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts