Mazda MX-30 Forum banner

No Range Extender or just delayed???

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  birillo_79 
#1 ·
Those of us eagerly awaiting the Wankel REX for the MX-30 will have to wait. Maybe forever. Or more optimistically this means Mazda will use a more, arguably, rational approach? Increased energy density in the battery pack meaning better range and faster charging speed? But the rotary did sound cool though. Feel kind of let down here.

Ref: Inside EVs, Automotive news

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
See this also. Interesting it calls itself a phev even though the rotary engine does not drive the front wheels but charges the battery!

Alan

#5 ·
My thoughts on retrofit are, it would be too expensive (new fuel tank, exhaust, instrumentation, s/w changes and possible remapping, fuel filler(don't know where that would go!), engine itself , wiring , labour etc.) and it would be cheaper to trade in and start again!

I still think increased efficiency and/or additional battery pack in the frunk would be better.

Alan

#6 ·
Actually asked about this when buying it. At least in Sweden EU its a non starter you need to reregister the vehicle. Very complicated. Probably cheaper to trade it in and swap. We dont know about prices yet but government grants in many places Sweden included will be a lot lower. They have to charge something for the extender set up. Like the idea but financially, at least in Europe, this seems pretty hopeless? Mazda ought to focus on getting new BEV models to market and improve energy density in the MX 30 battery pack in my opinion. The serial hybrid set up is awesome though.

#13 ·
Phev = strange moniker and wonder what lies behind the decision?

Technically not phev but interesting that Mazda themselves are calling it a phev, plug in hybrid electric vehicle...why? What benefits? Is it pure marketing?
I wish Mazda would provide the rationale. However the USA sales market needs it to sell in greater numbers. Not so sure the numbers add up for European sales in economic terms but who knows!

It makes not a jot of difference to me as it is not an option that I need or want. Just improve battery efficiency of what we have whilst they work their way forward on what new technology costs in to the marketplace they exist in to improve possibly range and efficiency without over egging it! To me it is going backwards re fossil fuel but it may keep their heads above water in the interim.

Alan

#14 ·
I think the key in not how mazda marketing will call it but how the national rules will officially classify it in the paperwork. That is the rationale behind the applicability of the benefits - from grant to free road tax, from free parking to free access to restricted area, from taxation in case of company car to... whatever. If is not calssified as pure electric (and it will not same as the bmw i3-rex) most of the benefits will go out of the window... so I do not see the point (as clearly no one will buy it). At least in EU and UK. I might be wrong... but if it gets classified same as a toyota hybrid then... will stuggle and there are far better options!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.