Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this mx-30 now from new for nearly 4 months, and have covered 8k+ and counting. One thought has crossed my mind, regarding the charging range, and how much it can differ after charging. I typically drive the same distance (100miles) everyday, often using the same route. Occasionally after a charge, it says I have a 136 mile range :confused:, but mostly around the 118 mile range. After a week or so, it suddenly goes down to 104, for a few days, then back up to 114. I drive pretty much the same everyday, no speeding or fast acceleration, and constantly use the paddles. I know that this range can fluctuate, because of various conditions, but is what I'm seeing normal?

For the first month of ownership, I had no alternative, but to use a CCS fast charger, due to the time it took to have a home 7kwh charger installed. At the start of using the home charger the range rose to around the 126 mark for a few days, but now it seems to stay around the 104 mark. The weather by the way has been unseasonably warm for the last couple of weeks, so I would have thought the weather would have at least been a little kinder to the range.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As someone else stated on this forum range can be a tricky concept. You are driving the same terrain with as near as possible the same driving style but simple thing like higher wind resistance, temp variables, weight of the car and tyre pressure to name just four can affect range, and the mileage per % charge is calculated using your driving history based on all these factors and more. I guess you are concerned about battery damage using fast chargers and regular 100% charges causing the range drop. In my limited knowledge I would say no to that. Too early in battery life cycle. I think a bit of suck it and see is required going forward but someone on the forum might supply more detailed info that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having had our first frost last night, and charging it up this morning, its gone from 106 after the previous charge, to 128 this morning :rolleyes: There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on why it changes so often. Yes I can appreciate the small variables' such as weight, tyre pressures etc, but even allowing for those, these figures are just...

Its a lovely car, but this range limitation is becoming the biggest issue. When they bring out the next version with hopefully a larger battery, doesn't have to be massive, I'll be first in the queue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts