Mazda MX-30 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got round to trying to update the sat nav SD card with the update from November last year. Did anyone else find this a nightmare process?

The Mazda Update Toolbox crashed twice - during the 90 minute backup process (what takes so long?) and then during the 90 minute SD update installation. I left the Toolbox running while I went away to do something more entertaining. When I came back the program seems to have crashed although there were changes on the SD card. My suspicion is that things may be ok, but I have no way of checking (apart from try and see). I had several problems reported as "unable to connect to server... try again" - trying again didn't work.

I contacted Mazda customer support who immediately passed my call to a German team ("press 2 for English"). After some discussion I agreed to compile a set of data for their "developers" (I nearly asked for my fee for the work involved!). The instructions were very outdated (they referred to "Windows Explorer" which no longer exists in Windows 11). And from within the Toolbox program I was asked to run the "SD-DIAGNOSTICS" option. I've looked and I can't find this option anywhere. The instructions also referred to a program attached to the email they sent - yep no such attachment!

I was also asked for my vehicle VIN and the software version of my "Mazda Connect" system (what's that?) - I provided the VIN plus the version number listed in the vehicle settings - although the instructions for the latter were wrong.

A very poor experience although to be fair this was pretty bad with my previous Mazda 3!

I am beginning to wonder if it's worth the hassle. Stick with Google Maps perhaps? But maybe some of the functionality (speed cam warnings?) is useful? - anyone got any views?

· Registered
MX-30 Makoto Machine Grey Metallic
140 Posts
Just updated my satnav card this morning, whole process took about an hour (Backup->Download->Install). Though I am using a Mac not Windows, I expect the process should very similar.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad your experience was better than mine. It took 80+ minutes for the backup, about 30 minutes for the download and then 80+ minutes for the install - although it crashed at some time towards the end of the install process. I don't if the install was completed and of course UK maps are towards the end of the data (the chances of a UK MX-30 making it to Russia seem pretty remote to me!).

One twist to the story: on contacting Mazda I was directed to a team in Germany; after exchanging emails I was told by the German team: "nevigationsoftware on your sat nav is GEN7 which we are not support". I'm now back with Mazda Customer Support who have opened a case to deal with this - been waiting a couple of days now for someone to get back to me.

More Zoom Zoom with Mazda.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have not tried to backup the navigation but I have to say I find using it really difficult. Trying to put in an address and get to the right menu can take ages. Putting in the address is annoying, having to use a very awkward non-touch screen of letter and numbers. Also, does not sync with my phone always. I have given up and just use my phone.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes using Google Maps via Android Auto or the equivalent for Apple stuff is much easier. I do have some experience from my previous car (Mazda 3) with the Mazda sat nav; I only enter UK post codes (zip codes or whatever you call them) into the Mazda sat nav and this works ok most of the time; UK post codes are good in that are specific to a particular street so adding a house number is very accurate.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad your experience was better than mine. It took 80+ minutes for the backup, about 30 minutes for the download and then 80+ minutes for the install - although it crashed at some time towards the end of the install process. I don't if the install was completed and of course UK maps are towards the end of the data (the chances of a UK MX-30 making it to Russia seem pretty remote to me!).

One twist to the story: on contacting Mazda I was directed to a team in Germany; after exchanging emails I was told by the German team: "nevigationsoftware on your sat nav is GEN7 which we are not support". I'm now back with Mazda Customer Support who have opened a case to deal with this - been waiting a couple of days now for someone to get back to me.

More Zoom Zoom with Mazda.
Here's condescending for you:
"I have liaised with the In-House Mazda Technical Support Team for advice. They have advised they have checked and have been able to log into the system OK. They have also advised, to ensure the PC is plugged into the mains power (if a laptop) and if possible for a more stable/reliable internet connection connect to the router via a LAN cable.". I only worked for 30 years in IT. Oh well, let's just say that Mazda have got no technical support for their sat nav system. Conclusion: Use Google maps, don't waste your life updating the data for the native sat nav in Mazda vehicles.

· Registered
110 Posts
Here's condescending for you:
"I have liaised with the In-House Mazda Technical Support Team for advice. They have advised they have checked and have been able to log into the system OK. They have also advised, to ensure the PC is plugged into the mains power (if a laptop) and if possible for a more stable/reliable internet connection connect to the router via a LAN cable.". I only worked for 30 years in IT. Oh well, let's just say that Mazda have got no technical support for their sat nav system. Conclusion: Use Google maps, don't waste your life updating the data for the native sat nav in Mazda vehicles.
That sounds like a similar reply I received from the Mazda dealer when I advised that my front passenger seat belt was faulty. I've only been driving for 30+ years and they continued to tell me how seat belts work, yet its the only seat belt in the car that plays up and locks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts